Chicago Aikikai and Aikido Shimbokukai will be co-hosting Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan on September 16 – 18, 2022. The 3-day seminar will be held at Chicago Aikikai. Please save the date. More details will follow soon. [Read more…] about Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan at Chicago Aikikai September 16-18, 2022
NEWS & EVENTS
The Chicago Aikikai has been invited by the Asian American Coalition of Chicago to demonstrate at this year’s Asian Heritage Month Celebration. Members of the dojo will showcase basic and advance aikido technique in Chinatown Square on Saturday, May 14 at 2:00 pm. [Read more…] about Asian Heritage Month Aikido Demonstration May 14, 2022
Aikidoka gathered at Inaka Dojo to celebrate the life and teachings of Wendy Whited Sensei (7th dan). [Read more…] about Aikido Seminar in Appreciation of Wendy Whited
UPDATED: Chicago Aikikai has set procedures for resuming class. Objectives are:
- To comply with all local, state and federal requirements as known today
- To do our best to assure health and safety of all who enter the dojo, and
- To offer the most authentic training experience as possible
Procedures follow. If participating, read them carefully and note potential changes per circumstances (expect more restrictions at the start). Please call (312) 880-7357 or e-mail if you have any questions.
PRIOR TO FIRST DOJO VISIT
- Obtain proof of vaccination. This will be required without exceptions, based upon guidance available from public health professionals including the Centers for Disease Control, Illinois Department of Public Health, Cook County Department of Public Health and city of Chicago Department of Public Health.
- Evaluate health condition. Do not plan on coming if you have any possible symptoms or are feeling unwell.
(optional)Pack a mask for wearing in class. UPDATE: We practiced without masks for a while in the summer of 2021, but went back to wearing masks with the Delta and Omicron variants. Masks are still required for participants and observers alike.
- Present proof of vaccination to instructor or designated senior student (legible pictures accepted).
- Clean hands with hand sanitizer provided.
- Sign in on sign-up sheet (required for contact tracing).
- Non-training visitors asked to wear masks for duration of class.
- Current or prospective students and visitors who train will fill in and sign updated waivers.
- Proceed to changing rooms. If uncomfortable with number of people in room, please wait outside until there are fewer present (lateness to class excused). Note gi may be worn to the dojo to bypass changing rooms.
Masks are not required but may always be worn and never discouraged. UPDATE: Masks are required at present.
- Wash hands before entering mat with hand sanitizer (and at any time during class as preferred).
- Full contact training WILL BE ALLOWED unless otherwise directed by the instructor.
- All attendees will participate in cleaning the dojo. This includes wiping down all commonly touched surfaces (door knobs, faucet handles, etc.), vacuuming the mat, etc.
A special introductory class is offered each Sunday morning class. This class will give instructors an opportunity to meet new students, work closely with them, and share the principles of Aikido to those visiting the dojo for the first time. Wear sweatpants and a t-shirt and join in the fun.
Sign up for classes and get a free dogi (traditional white cotton practice uniform).